Wednesday, January 15, 2014

If it's good enough for the chickens

Breakfast is served

Having chickens has changed the way my family eats. I have always made healthy choices in regards to the food I put on the table, but these girls bring it to another level. For many years before the chickens entered our lives, I had been baking our bread, and growing a lot of the vegetables we eat in the summer. What I don't grow, we get from a local CSA. We drink raw milk from a local dairy farm, and while we are there we pick up cheese and ice cream. We are very lucky to have these resources so close by. So how did the chickens change something that seems pretty wholesome to begin with? Today when I prepare our meals I think past the meal to when I will be bringing the leftovers to my girls. Would I want to give this to them? Is this good for THEM to eat? If the answer is no, I don't make it.

Waiting for breakfast

 

We recently went to a less then great restaurant. The food was too salty, or too greasy or a little bit of both. Unfortunately, a lot of the food was left sitting on our plates after the meal was over. My husband looked over to me and asked if we should bring it home for the chickens? As I scanned the table, still with that salty, greasy taste in my mouth, I said, no. I wouldn't serve this to my girls. I was kind of wondering why I served this to myself.

 

So thank you girls. Thank you for keeping me honest. You are with me when I am walking the aisles of the grocery store. Every choice I make I make with you in mind because if it's good enough for you it's good enough for my family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment