Tuesday, January 14, 2014

If it's Tuesday I must be baking muffins


I am not quite sure how this tradition started, but I bake muffins on Tuesdays. I must have been doing this for some time because if there are not fresh baked muffins sitting on the counter when my boys get home (and it's Tuesday) there is chaos in my house. These Tuesday muffins also come with rules:
  • Muffins have to be a unique recipe every Tuesday. I can only get away with repeats every two Tuesdays.
  • Muffins must not contain any type of nut. Not because we are allergic or don't like nuts, we actually are a nut loving family, but because we do not like nuts in our muffins. That's the kids speaking by the way, I love nuts in muffins.
  • Muffins must be healthy and contain only whole wheat flour. That's me speaking.
So I try my best to keep the chaos to a minimum and bake muffins on Tuesdays.

Whole Wheat Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk (I usually use whole milk, almond or coconut milk)
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats or 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • Handful of cranberries chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions
Preheat oven to 425°f (220°c). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
In a small bowl, combine milk, oats, cranberries and vanilla. Soak for 15 minutes.
In a separate bowl, beat together egg, oil and honey; stir in oatmeal mixture. In a third bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until cups are 2/3 full. Batter will be thick.
Bake in preheated oven for 15-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment